Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Scrumptiously Unattractive Skeleton - Guest Design!


Hello Random People! Surprise! It's a Tuesday/Monday evening Three Random Words guest design. Scrumptiously Unattractive Skeleton was designed by the Wifelette in response to a phrase submitted by her brother Nate. When he submitted the design, I really had no idea how I was going to express the words scrumptiously and unattractive at the same time in the same design. I brought it up to the Wifelette and she came up with something immediately. She remembered this old waitress we had at a Denny's one time who had the most disgustingly ugly make-up job. She had this blue eye shadow that was caked on so thick that the skin above her eyes looked like a dried out stream bed under a blue filter (that was funnier in my head and involved salt flats...which are quite flat and not cracked). She then said it would be hilarious to have the skeleton with that same make-up laying on a serving dish. I loved the idea and asked her to do it as a guest design. Details on her process after the jump.

So she drew the design in pencil at first and I thought it looked great. She didn't know how she was going to color it, so she left it for a few days. I came home last night to find her doing some touch up work on it. When I asked what she was going to color it with, whether she was going to use colored pencils or if she was going to ink it, scan it, and colorize it in Photoshop, she responded that she didn't know yet.

So she finished the drawing and pulls out these colored pencils. When she was finished with the coloring, I thought it looked amazing, but I was worried that it would be too light to scan well. She got up and went to the kitchen and came back with a bowl of water. I thought she was going to paint some of her new pendants (she makes pendants, there's an Etsy.com store coming soon). So she starts putting water on what she just finished coloring.

They were watercolor pencils. I didn't know! And the design turned out even better! I do like that the wrinkles to the paper (it wasn't watercolor paper and wrinkled up when she got it wet) add some shadows to what is already kind of a macabre (vocab!) scene. Also, the use of watercolors and pencils makes this the first non-digital Three Random Words design. Leave a comment, let the Wifelette and I know what you think!

-Rob Signed Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis