Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Cautiously Folding Penguin

Hello Random People! This design is part of a bonus two-design day. Yesterday I hosted a poll on the Facebook Page to decide which of five different random phrases I should use for today's design. With 7 votes apiece when I sat down to draw last night at 8:30pm, both Cautiously Folding Penguin and Kitten Decoy Squid won. Instead of using my own vote as a tie breaker, I decided to treat (I hope it's a treat anyway) everyone to a double dose of Three Random Words designs today. More information on this design after the jump.
Cautiously Folding Penguin originally had a dryer standing open behind him but I thought it cluttered everything up a bit much, so I erased it right before I started inking the design. I had such a hard time getting the proportion of the head right that I almost scrapped doing two designs altogether and handed the competition over to Kitten Decoy Squid, but, as you can see, I soldiered on. The original idea was to have the penguin folding a tuxedo and have him all white or have him all pink from the neck down. However, I started to think that it would come off as cliche (I also didn't think it would be so hard to draw a tuxedo jacket), so I colored the "shirt" pink and when I saw it I knew it was the right choice. When you see a penguin you never think "pink."

The Wifelette and I sat down this morning to look at the design and I told her that I thought something was missing. She said that there should be a little pile of folded shirts next to the penguin (as the original finished design did not have the little pile of shirts) and this is why I love her, because I had actually started sketching a pile of shirts but it wasn't turning out right. So, before she jumped in the shower, she actually drew the shirts for me, which I quickly scanned in and colored before I left for work. I think the shirts really do complete the whole design. I really like this one! Leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks!

-Rob Signed Off

1 comment:

ShareThis